Wednesday, June 13, 2012

The Push Present


My darling fabulous daughter,

I had a delightful visit a few weeks ago with a dear friend, her daughter - now a new mother, and her two-week-old angel-faced grandbaby. As new mommy was patting the baby’s back I noticed she wore a ring with an unusually large central gemstone that was surrounded by glittering diamonds. I commented on the rather spectacular ring and was told it was a “push present”.

Push present? I’d never heard the term before, but was soon enlightened: it’s a gift a new mother receives from the baby’s father for “pushing out a baby”. Oh how indelicate is modern phraseology! During the tender years of my youth a baby was ‘brought by the stork’ or ‘found in the garden under a cabbage leaf’ - far less visceral evocations than “pushing out a baby”. But, I digress…

After my initial wonder of what kind of money-grubbing concept the jewelry industry would next concoct in efforts to divert savings away from education funds and into its greedy coffers, I conducted a little research on-line. I soon discovered that while push presents are a relatively new phenomenon in North America, there’s a long-standing tradition of giving jewelry to new mothers in other countries.

Soon the gears in my wee brain began churning in a new direction:  being Canadian, and Canada being part of the British Commonwealth, and there being a long-standing tradition in England of jewelry-giving to new mothers, and it being more than a few years since I've received an extravagant gift of jewelry from my husband, the father of my babies … you can see where my thoughts were leading me.

And so it came to be that while working in the yard a few days later, I shared my newfound knowledge of push presents with your father. I described the sound reasoning behind such gifts, occasionally tapping my dilapidated trowel in the air to punctuate salient points, such as the 9 month-long-and-beyond ruination of a once lithe body, the rigors and agonies of protracted labour, etc. Finally, to illustrate my glowing description of the maharani-worthy ring worn by my friend’s lovely daughter, I drew a circle (the gold band) in the air with my wobbly-handled trowel and made a few emphatic stabs where the large gemstone and diamonds were located. Then, with what I supposed to be a winning smile, I suggested that although a few decades had passed since the blessed events, I, myself, would not be adverse to receiving a push present or two.

All too predictably, your father snorted in disgust and said he’d never heard anything so ridiculous in his entire life; that our two gorgeous daughters were presents enough. With a frightful scowl marring his handsome face, he then started his oversized (and overloud) lawn mower and roared around the yard like a demon on a mission until he’d covered the near quarter acre lawn - twice!

Imagine my surprise, then, when the dear man came home the following afternoon and announced he’d bought me a push present. He stood before me like a schoolboy with his hand behind his back, and the expression on his face told me he was exceedingly pleased with himself. With a flourish, he handed me a brand new trowel manufactured from one piece of tough plastic incapable of degenerating to the point of wobbling. “If you don’t like it,” he cheerfully proclaimed, “you can shovel it!”

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I wish there was a "like" button.

Now back to work for me... lest I find myself unable to afford my future.

Ali said...

What a witty father I have! LOL

Coffee Gallery at the Tate said...

Too funny - I need 3 'push presents' retroactively - I think I will go shopping myself!!!! LOL

Barbara said...

Yes Anton - back to work for you: I suspect there may be more than a few push presents in your future!

Ali - Your father is, indeed, a very witty man! We laugh together every single day - perhaps the secret to a wonderful marriage.

Coffee at the Tate (Lana) - Oh yes, shop away! Some of my best wedding anniversary gifts were those I purchased for myself! I have a friend who once complained that her husband never planned romantic dinners for her - I told her it doesn't matter who does the planning - it's the romance that counts!

Anonymous said...

[url=http://applesj.com/forum/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=43753]hermes birkin uk[/url] If you're not a novice radio station operator (sometimes known as: pork), You might not have any belief precisely what the pastime centered on. Or maybe you have anybody you like who has a car radio hobbyist and you just don't understand what the the magnet is.


[url=http://bbs.mzjx.com.cn/mzjxbbs/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=658777]hermes bags outlet[/url] they made me liven up. at least search a reduced a tramp. for why? clothing number expressed: Of our planet and this also web shows brilliant, n't tramp. not interstellar tramp. I dug out side my husband and my litigation. I ironed an absolute tee shirt (once i wasted half an hour locally in search of the club, curious incase all always seen very good iron, thinking about associated with finished own one yet,yet somehow asking yourself plainly new how much of an iron bars appears like, well selecting the golf iron in addition to asking how to handle it). I genuinely developed a logo with the information i was thinking became a neat and tidy claims: the other chief developed the mind. if I got in place, just feel I try to find? regular people accessorizing with salad dressing robes. quite a few shod accompanied by slip-ons.


[url=http://125.46.50.163:802/home.php?mod=space&uid=66449&do=blog&id=225918]coach bags on sale[/url] switching the tongue.

Anonymous said...

Having read this I thought it was very enlightening.
I appreciate you taking the time and energy to put this informative article together.
I once again find myself personally spending way too much time both reading and posting
comments. But so what, it was still worth it!


My weblog outside sheds plastic

Anonymous said...

Nice Video clip Schooling is not the filling of a vessel,
but the kindling of the flame That you Share , So Extremely Nice Many thanks You

Look at my web blog - premature ejaculation remedies & tips